"...And I have to speculate that God himself did make us into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces from the clay..."
- Iron and Wine

Friday, February 24, 2012

1 year... and 8 days

I have been employed for 1 year and 8 days.

1 year and 8 days ago I was a temp for Burton Lumber.
It was a great to be employed at least
but was not what I wanted to keep doing.

2 months before that I had been unemployed for 9 months.
(That is 1 year and 10 months ago)
I was let go the weekend of my birthday.
I was hurt, let down, confused, insecure and lost.

3 months later Fez was let go from his job.
We were both hurt, let down, confused, insecure, and lost.

Luckily I had (have) a wonderfully supportive husband to help keep me afloat and dance to keep me occupied. He had school to focus on to get him graduated as soon as we could.

We put our faith in our Heavenly Father and tried to take it one day at a time. We leaned on each other for support but it was rocky since neither of us had much to give, let alone be receptive to it.

But we didn't give up.
Not on the world.
Not on each other.
Not on ourselves.

He started working again, then I started working again.
Then I was offered a job.
An actual full-time, grown-up, professional job.
A job at Squire & Company, PC.

And I love it.

I love where I work.
The people, the mission, the values.
Each day I want to be a better employee.
And a better person.

Two weeks ago I was told about 3 potential job possibilities.
They were ones I'd always wanted to do
and/or where I wanted to work.

But I just couldn't do it.
I am where I am supposed to be.
And even though it was a long tough road to get here,
I couldn't be more grateful for it.

I have been employed for 1 year and 8 days.
And I'm not going anywhere.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I like this post alot.

Jenny Jones said...

Hi Jenny! I found my way to your blog via Natalie Hedman and thought I'd say hello. I'm glad I'm not the only person who had to deal with unemployment because I sure thought I was! You had it much worse than I did though. Hooray that you've been happily employed for so long! I'm coming up to my year mark...and I work with your mother-in-law! Not directly, but I've talked to her a few times and see her signature on papers all the time. It's so nice to finally have job security. Yay for us!