"...And I have to speculate that God himself did make us into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces from the clay..."
- Iron and Wine

Monday, June 14, 2010

i love my mommy

This weekend was pretty eventful to say the least.

Saturday morning my family headed to Provo to run in the Utah Valley Marathon and 5k. I ran the first mile but had forgotten to put on my knee braces. Without them I had to walk the rest of the race. They hurt so bad but I finished! We all did really well actually. Tyler crossed the finish line first, followed by my dad, Fez, mom and then me. Brian ran his first marathon in only 3:30! So awesome!
Good job everyone!

My dad placed second in his age category so we decided to wait for the awards. While waiting my mom started to get chest pains feeling lots of pressure and weight, said her heart hurt and had a hard time breathing. Luckily the first aid station was just down the stairs so my dad ran for some help. A doctor came up, asked her some questions and decided to call for more help. After what seemed like forever later the paramedics arrived. We had moved her to the floor which seemed to help but I was glad that they were there. They gave her oxygen and we headed to the hospital. They started running tests when she got there but the pain was starting to subside and she was joking with us so that was a relief. They wanted to keep her overnight and do a stress test in the morning so we headed home and my dad went back to stay with her.

Sunday they did some blood work (I can't remember all the medical jargon of the tests she had. If you'd like to know feel free to ask her :) Sorry...) and decided to have her stay one more night. She had to lay flat on her back for 8 hours! Ugh. We went to visit and ended up being there with Brian and Ann and the girls as well as Bockba (my grandma). It was a lot of people in the room but it was nice to be there with my family (missed you Jason and Jen!!!). Before we left my mom was given a priesthood blessing. I love that I have men in my life that are able and willing to give blessings. It brings such peace and comfort.

They let her leave this morning. The doctors said all the tests came back normal and even though she cleared the enzyme test(?) there was still evidence that something had happened with her heart. Luckily her heart was healthy enough that whatever it was, a blood clot or what not, passed through and broke down itself. The doctor called it a heart event, or a minor heart attack. Crazy! She has been doing excellent at running for the past couple years and runs about 4-5 miles every day. I believe if she hadn't been doing this something much more tragic could have happened. It is scary to think that, but I really think it could have. I am so happy to have her home and doing as well as she is. She has to take it VERY easy for a week and slowly pick things back up.

I know people say this all the time, but you really never know what could happen. I never would have thought in her condition she would have had a heart attack and am happy she has taken care of herself so that it wasn't worse. I am grateful the Lord has allowed her to stay with us and continue to pray the He will do so for a long time to come.

I LOVE YOU MOM!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

So glad she is ok! We all love your mom too!

Janessa said...

So scary! I'm so glad she has taken care of herself so well so that her body was able to rebound so well. I hope she gets feeling better very soon.
Well done on the marathon, Wells family!!!

Anonymous said...

So I'm the biggest blog stalker ever. So I hope you dont mind I'm following you now! Hope all is well! ~McKensie

Linds Forrest said...

I am so glad she is ok!! That is scary. I love your Mom. She's so freaking awesome!! And way to go on still finishing the race, that's pretty strong and awesome!

Launa said...

I'm so proud of my family! You are all great runners!! And Jenny,You are right. Who would have thought we would spend the weekend in the hospital because of a heart attack!! I am so blessed! I have wonderful people in my life that acted quickly to get me the help I needed and continue to support and love me. Love you Jenny! You are the best daughter ever!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad your mom is okay! When I heard the news I was so worried. You are totally right in everything you say. You never know what could happen. It really teaches us to live life to the fullest. I, too, am glad we have such a great family full of the priesthood and that your mom was able to get that blessing. I hope she's around a really long time too! :)