"...And I have to speculate that God himself did make us into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces from the clay..."
- Iron and Wine

Thursday, August 26, 2010

One Tough Chick

Fez has been wanting to go on a backpacking trip for some time and since we have packs and all the supplies to go with it it was just calling us. Fez's cousin Eric wanted to go to Ryder Lake again so the dates were set and plans were made.

Honestly, I wasn't entirely looking forward to it. I mean, I like hiking and the mountains and such, but with a 30 pound pack on your back for 8 miles? Yikes. But I decided to be supportive and just go for it.

Ryder Lake is in the Uintahs and with 8 miles ahead of me I tried to get in the zone. I tell you what though, I have NEVER had anything try me so hard physically, mentally, and spiritually as did the hike up to the lake. I was tired by mile 3, my knees were killing me by mile 3.5, and I just wanted to sit on a rock and cry by mile 4. I even considered sitting on that rock and waiting for them to pick me up on their hike home 2 days later.

I have never talked myself into taking just one more step... I have also never pleaded so much with Heavenly Father to ease some of the physical burden, help me have the mental capacity to keep pushing, and trying to be grateful for every little flower, tree, or small rock I got to see or step around. It was very, very trying... and tiring.

Toward the end there is a 1/4 mile steeeeep hill that seems impossbile to hike because you are already exhausted and above 10,000 feet. I took it on slow and steady and I am proud to say that I was the first one up the hill! That's right... Girls rule and Boys drool... Ok not really but I was just proud of myself for conquering it! For conquering the whole hike really!

Once there I was glad to have made it because it is just beautiful. The lake was super smooth, the reflection of the mountains around were spectacular, and the crisp mountain air... I just love camping. The next day it poured on us for like 4 or 5 hours so we sat in our tent and read my Book of Mormon (see previous post about being WAY behind. Still behind, but I did read the whole book of Mosiah). We finally saw the sun come out for a bit and got to enjoy a little fire before going to bed.

I was nervous about the hike down with how bad my knee was holding up. I loaded up the Ibuprofen and told myself at least we were going home. The hike down wasn't nearly as bad as going up. The medicine helped and knowing what to expect as well.

I've wondered if I would go backpacking again and thought either almost any other trip won't be as bad because it won't be 16 miles or that just did me in and I will never go again. Right now i have to say it's the latter, but i'm sure it will change in a year or two.

"Now entering the wilderness" sign at mile 2.

Taking a rest around mile 3.5
at a cute little creek.

Yes, I know I don't have make up on.
About the one and only time you'll see me
without it in a picture on my blog.
It's not a pretty sight...

Ryder Lake.
Gorgeous.

This rock was shaped out
as the perfect seat!



Through this experience I have learned these things:
* Always take a knee band and lots of meds
* Heavenly Father heard my plea and
helped make my burden light
* It's cool to drink water straight from
a rock spring from the earth
* Don't bring as much snack food
* I am One. Tough. Chick.

3 comments:

Linds Forrest said...

Way to go Jenny!! That is so awesome!! Looks beautiful too!

Erica said...

Rock on, Jenny!! I went hiking last week and my knees are still recovering.. I don't think dancer legs are made for hiking. Props on your success, and sweet pics!

Becky said...

Great Job! You ARE one tough chick. I myself HATE hiking...I mean hate it like it's torture hate. I'm always in awe of those who can do it. You learned some wonderful things!
P.S. You look great without make-up!